Tuesday 17 February 2009

It never rains, but it pours .....

Aren't these stunning? They smell heavenly too. The lovely Victoria sent them to me a couple of weeks ago

They say bad news comes in threes; I seem to be living proof of that at the moment! Some of you will recall that I went for a Barium enema recently to get to the bottom (excuse the pun) of why my innards were making their presence known to me. I got the results back for this, and am told that I have an 'abnormality in the Caecum' that will require an urgent Colonoscopy. Good old NHS rang today, and I am booked in for this delightful procedure this coming Saturday; I am once again to experience the pleasure that is fasting and strong laxatives in preparation. I must have been very very bad in a previous life!

After the Barium enema, my breast decided to get in on the act, and despite already being on antibiotics, flared up and had me hospital bound again. My GP decided to go back to square one and I had blood tests to screen all my organs to try and find out why I kept having this problem with recurrent infection. The verdict is that I am Diabetic; I had pretty spectacular blood sugar counts, and am now on medication to try and control it. Diabetes is known to interfere with healing, so the hope is that once the Diabetes is managed, my problems with recurrent infection will be too. This may take a few weeks, and to that end I came home with another 6 weeks worth of antibiotics.

Things have been going wrong for my family too. On the 5th February, my Mum went in to Hospital to have major surgery to try and replace a massive titanium bone and elbow replacement she had done 15 years ago. As a 19 year old she had a serious accident, that left her without the proper use of her right arm as the elbow had fused. The original implant 15 years ago extends from her wrist to her shoulder, including an elbow, and gave her freedom of movement she hadn't had in over 35 years. It had begun to give a lot of pain last year, so the surgeons decided to replace it, having done CT scans and the like to assess it. She went in for this surgery knowing it was going to be a difficult and painful process, and aware that she already had a bone infection that would complicate matters even more.

The surgeons got stuck. They started the operation, and removed the old implant, but couldn't put the new implant in. Apparently her remaining bone is so black and necrotic, it wasn't possible for them to complete and connect the implant to her remaining bones. Thankfully they didn't amputate immediately, although this still might happen.

The most bonkers part about this is they sent her home because they are terrified of her contracting an infection in the Hospital before they get a chance to rectify her missing implant. She is at home with a make shift cast that causes her arm to jut out awkwardly at 90 degrees to her body. The Hospital have been contacting all the UK orthopaedics experts and professors to come up with a solution, and Mum will go back to the Hospital tomorrow to find out if a her now boneless arm is salvageable.

This is made harder for me, because I am not allowed to visit her, or go and help care for her at home because I have bugs that could harm her, although I am hoping after a screening on Friday that these results will mean I can go and help if they don't discover any antibiotic resistant bugs.

23 comments:

Celia Hart said...

In for a penny in for a truck-load of stuff! But so much is in the hands of others and is stuff you can't control – hope you can switch off and enjoy the snowdrops.

Good luck with all the tests - I accompanied my Mum for similar tests last Saturday (Valentine's). So I can appreciate how unpleasant it is. They told her the outcome there and then. Hope you get some good news too.


Take care
Celia

Victoria Summerley said...

I'm so glad you liked the flowers, Zoe, they look gorgeous. I can almost smell them!
I hope the colonoscopy goes OK. And don't beat yourself up about not being able to be with your mother. Sometimes it really is better not to be there, especially where infection is concerned. I'm sure she knows you'd be looking after her if you could.
Love and hugs, Victoria

emmat said...

oh my god, oh my god, what an appalling set of things to happen! I am really thinking of you. I am sending you healing vibes - and your mum. Your poor mum! I just can't bear to think about it. Take care and try to watch only nice funny things on telly, is my advice.
Emma xxx

Exmoorjane said...

Those roses are just divine - how lovely of Victoria to send them. I can pretty much smell them too as a dear friend of mine sent me some pretty similar (but from the Real Flower Company) - the scent was just heady and now the petals are dried and still scenting the room.
I am so so sorry you're going through such a totally horrible time. I do think it's about time the fates decided to cut you some slack.
I'm joining the vindaloo night, btw!

Reasons said...

Wow, what a time of it. Have just written a post on my blog about everything coming in 3's. Hope the op goes well. Take care, i will drop by again and hope to find you feeling better.

alice c said...

I am amazed at your courage facing up to all of these challenges. Thinking of you.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Zoe, you are so brave. Your honesty and courage are a beacon of light to us all. You and your family are in my prayers, and I am sending you Golden Light and Love. Hugs xx

Reasons said...

Thank you for the lovely message you left me, take good care. Jo x

abcd said...

Absolutely beautiful roses such a lovely shade. Can't believe your run of bad luck continues, hope everything turns out well for you and your Mum. Best Wishes.

VP said...

How thoughtful Victoria is.

And what a truckload of stuff you're going through at the moment. I wish I was there to give you some of these:

((((((hugs))))))

Thinking of you
xxx

themanicgardener said...

Yuck, Zoë, that is awful, and I am so sorry. I am glad that they know why your infection keeps returning (good for your doctor for keeping at it), but sheesh, what a reason!

The story about your mom had me gripping my hair. I hope an expert materializes tomorrow, solution in hand.

I just went through the colonoscopy routine; jolly, isn't it? At least my doctor has a sense of humor; before quite putting me under, he said, "I'll be behind you all the way."
--Kate

Victoria Summerley said...

It was really sweet of you to say that, VP, but it's Zoe who is the thoughtful one - I sent her the flowers to say thank you for all the cards and little messages she's sent me since Craig died. I find it quite humbling that in the middle of all her trouble she has time to think of me. She's the real hero.

Esther Montgomery said...

Continuing best wishes . . . lots of them.

Esther

Safi Crafts said...

Oh Zoe I am so sorry to hear about everything. You are extraordinary for managing to keep writing about this. I know that many people will benefit from sharing your experiences. If I could I would send you the one snow drop that is in my garden. Or my darkest, most thrilling helebore. And I will mentally send you the scent of my garden daphne which looks like it is opening today. Just for you.
Jean

Katarina said...

Zoe, sometimes life is but one big struggle... However, I'm convinced that once you get your diabetes under control, things will start getting better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed - both for you and your mum.

Take care!
Katarina

Anonymous said...

Dear Zoe, those darn sets of three bad things, but it sounds as though you and yours have had your quota for a while and it should be time for the set of three wonderful things to come your way. Getting the diabetes under control does seem promising to helping you heal up. As for the coloroscopy, think how clean you are now inside. I have had several and after it is over I am always very very hungry. Your dear mother seems a very brave example of grace under pressure. Hope they can at the least let her arm come down to her side instead of sticking out. May the proper genius surgeon be found.

Love and hugs,
Frances

Chris Stovell said...

I hope by now that things are a little brighter for both of you.

Pomona Belvedere said...

Zoe, due to my own (extremely minor, compared with yours) health problems I haven't been here recently - I'm so sorry you're going through all of this!

This might be a useful piece of info: there are some medical studies showing that cinnamon reduces blood sugar levels significantly. (They found out by doing a test on blood sugar before and after eating apple pie. They were expecting a rise, from the sugar, but they got a drop instead, finally finding out is was from the cinnamon.) If you're interested in more info on this, please email me.

Sending thoughts to you and your mother, even though this is long after the initial post, maybe they can act retroactively, too.

Anonymous said...

I had you on my mind today. Many hugs your way. I'm so sorry about your mom.

Jan said...

Zoe, Since you stopped by I was reminded to visit you here at this blog, too. I am wondering how things are going with you now that you've been treating the diabetes? Has it started to help any of your other problems and symptoms? I sure hope so! And your poor mom...she went in thinking she'd get a 'repair' only to learn such disappointing news, and to go home w/no bone sounds miserable and painful to me. My mom always told me 'What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger'. Hmm. So, you two must be VERY strong;-) I certainly hope your mom can have a positive solution to her problem. Whatever happens, it is amazing how strong we can really be when we need to be! My thoughts are with you, Zoe!

Pomona Belvedere said...

Thinking about you today and sending you and your mother blessings. I often do and don't write them here. I hope you can feel all of our supportive thoughts, Zoe, and that it helps.

Arabella Sock said...

Hi Zoe

Nice to see you commenting around blog world. I hope you are doing OK.

Arabella

Joanne said...

Hi I just found you through Victoria's blog although I did pass by once before.

I am sorry to hear of your health struggles and clearly problems with recurring infection.

You will see on my blog my struggles over 6 years with Lyme Disease something NHS are in complete denial about. In my case it manifested as Arthritis but can in fact affect every system and organ in the body. Have a read you might find it interesting. (recently they have linked it to Non Hodgkinson's lymphoma in a study done in Europe) I had problems with many glands throughout my body during this illness which could have been treated on 6 weeks antibiotics if only I had known instead of 6 years of ill health and months of antibiotics.

Best wishes for your recovery